Thursday, October 13, 2011

Eternal Companion

There are so many feelings and thoughts that I want to share, and so I will try not to overload the blog with posts...but this, I need to write down before I forget...


As you might have read in an earlier post- I had decided to opt for an epidural (which I know now, to be a heaven sent miracle med for sissy girls like me...). I could not feel a thing- and I kept giggling on how hard I would concentrate on moving just one toe, or my foot...nothing would happen. As my labor progressed and I needed more help to move, adjust, and prepare for birth, I had a realization and a better understanding of charity, companionship, and a positive attitude.


My Grandma Haslam had been paralyzed from the waist down for 17 years- and for 17 years, my grandfather took care of her-every day-neither of them complaining. Lifting, carrying, bathing, changing, caring for...very difficult tasks, especially for those in their elderly years- they exemplified the ways of what eternal companionship should be. Their love for one another, their dedication to one another, through good and bad-no matter what-, and attitude of gratitude for one another...it was a very tender moment for me.


So, as I laid there helpless in the bed, having my sweet companion care for me, and cheer me on, in one of the hardest and most difficult things I have ever faced- I knew that I could not have done this task without him. It was physically and emotionally impossible.


I was so thankful for the epidural, but even more for the tender mercy that I learned from it.

3 comments:

Kenzee Jo said...

Thank you for sharing... very touching and humbling experience isn't it? :) And we all learn different things every single time.

Melissa said...

That was a great story and I'm glad you had a good experience! I didn't get an epidural with my first but I'm considering it for this one... :) Your little girl is SO adorable and I'm very happy for you! You are going to be such a great mom.

Aubrey Norby said...

What a neat experience you had! Thank you for sharing it and writing it down for posterity. Your grandparents have an amazing story and I am glad that it inspired you during childbirth. We can't wait to meet your sweet little Clara!